The Coker's

The Coker's

Friday, April 2, 2010

Continuation of Florence... now for the amazing part!

Piazza Michael Angelo is AMAZING!  In fact, just go there first to start your adventure in Florence.  It will give you a great opportunity to see "the big picture."  Here are some shots from there.  PS:  Take a taxi up there.. it was well worth the 10 euros.






I forgot to show you some pics of the train ride to Florence.... here you go :)





Let's get to the evening events.  After a ridiculous day with not being able to see the David and it sprinkling on us, we needed a great night in Florence!!!!!! 

We walked down from the Piazza, which was an easy walk down.  No need for a taxi there. 



What is Matt trying to be....



A WEIRD ITALIAN TREE :)

This is a failed attempt at a jump pic.  Dont worry, he didnt fall... just pretended to!



First we started at Angie's Pub.  It had a laid back feel to it... kind of like everyone in there was high on something (except us) but we were comfortable having a beer and enjoying the people watching.  We both had a Moretti (great italian beer).





Then we stopped at another pub and unfortunately I did not get the name.  A number of bars had appetizers set up for what reminded me of happy hour in the states. This one had middle eastern flavored food... all good! This bar was AWESOME!



Once we were finished, we walked around a few Piazzas, bought some Chianti and then headed over for dinner. 
8 years ago, for highschool graduation, I took a backpacking trip through Europe with some of my friends and two of our coaches.  Both Coach Hood and Coach George have stayed in touch with a number of the hotels they have stayed at.  One is this one, Hotel Rita Major, in Florence.  I highly highly highly recommend it if you are staying in Florence.  Anway,  Thanks to them, we got to experience the same restaurant that we went to 8 years ago.  They all called me Mama Bemis after that night... I basically died over the food and the wine and I will never forget that night.  I wanted Matt to have the same experience.

Del Fagioli


OH MY GOSH!

We got there at 7:40 pm and it opens at 7:30... DONT BE LATE!  It fills up incredibly fast!
We had some of the house wine, well a bottle of it!  We started with grilled bruschetta with olive oil and tomatoes on top.  I had the Gnocchi in a homemade tomatoe sauce and Matt had a regional dish which was basically steak wrapped around grilled veggies, slow cooked with a wine/tomatoe sauce over it, served with fabulous stewed potatoes.... UNREAL.  I don't eat beef, but I sure dipped some bread in the sauce and it was fantastic!



Matt's dish below...



We ended with a slice of the custard cake (which was similar to a boston cream pie flavor) and a cup of coffee.  I have learned that if you drink a little too much wine, have a cup of coffee and you should be fine.

We met a lovely couple and their son from Buffalo.  They were wonderful!  We had so much fun talking with them.  They have traveled all over the world, they have 3 kids in college and then one 7th grader.  We really enjoyed ourselves.





I hate to give out the location, because I love spots like this to stay secret, but this one... I just can't keep in!  Corso Dei Tintori... it's easily found on a map :)


Then it was a taxi ride home and to sleep.

We are headed for the countryside and I am not sure if there is internet... I will do my best over the next few days to blog :)


No comments:

Post a Comment