The Coker's

The Coker's

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Costa Rica- Playa Grande/ Playa Flamingo


Playa Grande & Playa Flamingo

Playa Flamingo
After reading through the Frommer's book, I was sold on spending a little time at this beach.  Driving there from Tamarindo is a little confusing.  There are several signs that point down dirt roads to get you to Playa Flamingo, BUT DON'T TAKE THEM!  You will know you are there because you pass through a small, well-established town.  Once you pass through it, you make a slight left and there is the beach.  There are plenty of places to park right in front of it so you can check on your car from time to time if you feel the need.  The resort that is located on the across the street from the beach happily rents chairs and umbrellas which was a must for me.  I was a little gun shy with the sun in Costa Rica.  Several people told me to be careful because of how close you are to the equator.  I can happily report that I did NOT get sunburned ;)
We laid on our chairs, read our books, took some pictures, did some people watching, took a quick dip in the water, and then packed up and headed back to Tamarindo.  There isn't much to do on this beach except observe the beautiful scenery, layout and read a great book.  Honestly, I am perfectly content with some peace on a beach IN COSTA RICA!  I would definitely suggest a quick trip to hang out for a half day or full day.





Playa Grande
I can see myself renting a house on Playa Grande with a big group of friends.  First of all, the waves a GREAT on this beach.  Second, the beach houses are RIGHT ON THE BEACH.  Third, it's way less touristy than Tamarindo!  If all three of those things sound appealing to you, then by all means book your vacation there!  You will absolutely need a rental car if you stay in this town.  It's still growing but it reminds me of Sayulita when I was a little girl... not much to do, but just perfect for our family vacations.





They have a few surf shops that provide surf lessons.  The waves are pretty consistent.  My favorite thing about this place is a little restaurant called "La Marejada" or "The Swell".  This is a small "surfer" hotel that has a FABULOUS breakfast spot!  We dined there three mornings in a row... no joke!  There are 4 small inns right in a row that are walking distance to the waves.  There were lots of young people at this spot.


If you end up staying in Tamarindo, definitely check out Playa Grande.  It's worth the short drive, and the beach is really beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment