The Coker's

The Coker's

Monday, December 26, 2011

Costa Rica- PuraAdventura

Matt...Comin' in hot!

Pura Aventura
This was a good way to start the vacation- before the adrenaline runs out and the sleep deprived work-a-holic finally attempts to catch up on sleep :)

Joey (if staying at Casa Bambora)  is more than happy to set up tours for people, but since I am a little neurotic about really PLANNING my trip before I get there, I did it myself.  And frankly, it's just as easy to do. I set up a double activity day: Canopy Tour/ ATV Tour.

Getting to the place where adventures happen: They picked us up right at our house.  She was a little early, but remember, NO ONE IS ON A TRUE SCHEDULE ON VACATION!  We picked up a few more risk takers and headed out.  It was around 45 minutes one way, and I couldn't tell you the exact location because during the entire ride I was scanning the beautiful scenery. 

Canopy Tour:
We had ziplined before, and loved it, so it was only natural to try the most stereo-typical Costa Rican activity while we were in Costa Rica.

Once we arrived we payed and waited until the crew was ready to get us started!  They drove us up to the top of the mountain/ large hill, suited us up, gave us a demonstration of what to do, and then the fun began.  The ziplines were really long and the placement of the lines was pure perfection.  It's a lush and green location and there is plenty to see and enjoy for the entire 2 hours.  There are over 10 ziplines to "tarzan" through the forest on and none are disappointing. 

Click on the link below to experience one of the ziplines!

ATV:
Now don't expect to get the same AWESOME ride that we did because they can't offer the "adventure" ride to everyone.  We both have experience riding ATV's, and since it was just Matt and myself going for the tour, they agreed to take us on something a little more exhilarating than the normal tour.  Our guide was crazy, but as you all know... I like a little crazy in my life :)  First of all, its dusty, so expect to look like one of the chimney cleaners on Mary Poppins when you are done!  It's well worth it.



We started our way through the ranch and up the mountain.  We forged through creeks, dried up riverbeds, up steep hills, over logs (apparently that's not such a good idea because Matt said he was scared for my safety at one point... I don't remember being scared or fearing for my life... but just stay away from those).  On the way up our guide spotted a little family of Howler Monkeys... that was 60% of the reason I wanted to go to Costa Rica.  We stopped, took some pictures, made the monkey howl at us, and then got back on the trail.  Matt's breaks were a little sketchy, but he is the most advanced rider out of the two of us, so I am glad it was him and not me!  Once we reached the top, it was worth all the hard work.  The view was spectacular.  We sat up there, chatted about life, got to know our guide, took in the full view, and just enjoyed being in the moment up there.  It's fun to know that not everyone will have that same moment since we were well off the beaten path ;) 



Once we were done, we headed back down the challenging path and he let us get a little crazy... Matt zoomed by me as fast as he possibly could.  We had a blast racing back to the entrance. 

If you do choose Pura Aventura, TIP YOUR GUIDES BIG!  I don't know exactly what they make, but I know the going rate in Costa Rica is around $2.50 per hour which probably equates to less than $20 a day!  SO TIP BIG PEOPLE!

Getting Home:
After our big day (which was around 5 hours of pure fun), they took us back to our hotel/house.  On the way, we saw another tribe of Howler Monkeys (this one much larger) making their way across the telephone lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment