The Coker's

The Coker's

Monday, March 29, 2010

First night in Roma - Pizza, Gelato, Spanish Steps, etc etc etc

Matt and I ventured out after we took a much needed shower... finally, we felt like humans again!  The hardest part of the long distance traveling is not showering... for me at least.  I do not know how my Mom does her trips to Asia. 

First obstacle, the subway.  We forgot our map in the room, so I stepped into a book shop to purchase a cheap map of Rome.  Matt had his first real experience with how Italian's can be.  I asked for a subway map and the lady behind the counter told me I would have to go up two stories to find one... YEA RIGHT.  So I pushed a little harder asking for a map of Rome.  Well looky there... right behind me... the map I was looking for.  We purchased the map and got out of there, but not before she got to do the famous "disgusted with American's" look.  Both of us have been on subways before so we knew it would be a quick brain storm session.  Sure enough, we found our way and hopped on.  The Spanish Steps were the must see of the evening.  Once we got off the train, we stopped at the first pizza shop we saw.  You walk up to a window, they ask you how thick, you motion with your hands, they cut it, FOLD IT OVER, warm it up and serve it to you.  We both had Mushroom, peppers and cheese.  DELICIOSA!  Matt absolutely loved it.  As we walked over to the Spanish Steps, I got the camera ready.  Matt was blown away to say the least.  This was a great photog opportunity.


It was time to just walk the streets.  The shops were to die for, the buildings are facinating if you have not seen them before, the people are interesting... the whole experience was a must for his first night here...
and our first night together in Rome :)


On accident, we stumbled upon the Trevi Fountain... the most beautiful fountain in Rome.  Matt, again, was overwhelmed.  The things he had seen in his text books were right in front of him.  I had forgotten how amazing Rome was at night, but this was a quick reminder!  In the same area, we stopped for gelato and to buy a belt for Matt.  I, of course, found a great scarf I just had to have :)



While venturing off the beaten path, we stumbled upon the Bentley dealership.  We walked all over the place.  There was a point where we felt lost, but our 2 euro map pulled through for us!


Take a look at how much that beauty is...and remember, to buy one Euro, you pay $1.30...


Matt's asleep and I am about to follow.  Good night everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment